How sweet it is to prepare a simple dish to share, feel good about its nutritional content, and then get asked for the recipe! This is what happens when you bring kale slaw to your next pot-luck or BBQ. Simply prepare the veggies and toss with the dressing – boom instant gratification. If you are looking for an entirely vegetarian-friendly pot-luck option pair it with some cooked lentils for a powerhouse combination. Americans are low in leafy green consumption as well as legumes – get a two for one by combining both. I can imagine this salad would be spectacular with the addition of cooked or roasted chickpeas or cannellini beans too. For those with hypertension, please consider no added salt to the recipe and rinse and beans before adding to the salad for best results.
- 2 bunches of chopped kale -stemmed removed
- 2 shredded carrots
- 2 sweet red bell peppers chopped or sliced thin
Then the dressing!
- For best results combine in a blender, food processor, or whisk the heck out of it in a bowl until creamy and smooth.
- 1/4 cup unsalted chunky natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup old Pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
So delicious- I didn’t have any red peppers but I did have a yellow and orange carrot. If you have roasted peanuts crush a few on top for extra kale slaw crunch! It might be best to massage the dressing onto the kale leaves to tenderize the kale – but I usually just make sure to keep the kale chopped in small pieces or strips and it is perfect. If you need more ideas for recipes that incorporate leafy greens or legumes (including lentils) check out my meal planning options with a searchable database of chef and dietitian-approved recipes.